martes, 24 de noviembre de 2020

Premier Scottish Detective Fiction: Still Life, by Val McDermid


If Ian Rankin is the Da of contemporary Scottish detective fiction, there can be little doubt that Val McDermid is the Ma. A long time ago, shortly after its publication I read The Mermaids Singing, although that very dark novel made a deep impression, I didn't follow up, I don't think I found the protagonists particularly congenial. 

This book is obviously also part of a series but I had no issues here with the protagonists. In fact, they were highly enjoyable, I found their insouciance towards a certain senior officer particularly engaging. The plots (there are actually two for the price of one), although they had their "out there" moments, were intriguing and kept me turning the pages. Throw in some very sharp dialogue and the occasional Scottishism, pertinent observations about contemporary British politics and the hint of an encroaching plague and this was for me a very satisfactory novel with a contemporary feel.

I will definitely be seeking to read more in this series.

Thanks as always to NetGalley for allowing me to read a copy of the ARC.



P.S. 15 February 2021. I am now on my FIFTH Karen Pirie novel. 

P.S.S. Is it wrong that I ship "the Mint"? Dumb but dogged is good in my book.


1 comentario: