sábado, 23 de enero de 2021

Classic LA Noir: "Serpentine" by Jonathan Kellerman

 Serpentine is the 36th Alex Delaware novel and I have read every one of them.

Jonathan Kellerman is one of a select band of my go-to authors. These are authors whose books I will always eagerly order before they are even published and when I get them in my hot, eager hands, they tend to last less than two days. One day I will write an article dedicated to this group, but for now let’s talk about Mr Kellerman and his work.

I have been a fan since the mid-80s when I was introduced to Kellerman’s novels by a work colleague, yes hard to believe, almost FORTY YEARS. Given my age I can’t really claim to have “grown up” with Kellerman what I can say is that I have aged with him, which, when you think about it, is perhaps even more laudable.

What do I find so compelling? Well in the first place there is the main cast of characters, basically Alex Delaware, a child psychologist and consulting psychologist, his partner, Robin Castagna, a luthier, their pet, latterly a French bulldog called, Blanche, and of course gay LAPD detective Milo Sturgis, there are a cast of secondary characters some of whom have even starred in their own novels, but I have to say I have never found them to be quite so compelling as the original quartet.

And then there is ambience, Kellerman always gives you throwaway but compellingly detailed descriptions of the different areas of LA, a smattering of history a brief description of the landscape, food, architectural styles, décor, or flora. Dialogue is fast and witty. Plotting is occasionally contrived but strangely satisfying. There is always a clear ending.

Serpentine belongs to the sub “historical” group of Delaware novels, novels based on the past.  A highly successful entrepreneur wants to know what happened to her mother, she has one photograph of her, wearing the serpentine necklace of the title, and a smattering of recollections gleaned from the man who brought her up but is now dead. Milo is called by the brass to resolve this coldest of cases.

The plot is as twisty and turny as the name suggests and there are some nice flashbacks to the flamboyant 80s in LA and a series of killings. We also get to learn a little more about Dr Rick Silverman, Milo’s partner.

Classic Kellerman. A riveting read.

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario